Portal w trakcie przebudowywania.
Niektóre funkcje są tymczasowo wyłączone, inne mogą nie działać poprawnie.

genealogy in Hnatkowice and Przeszow

1.01.2013 15:29
Dzien dobry i szczesliwego nowego roku !

I am trying to research my wife's ancestors on her mom's side.
Her grand parents were born in Hnatkowice and Przeszow, both in Podkarpacie, Galicia.
This region was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until 1918.

I am quite an experienced genealogist here in France but I have to admit that due to the complexcity of the Polish history especially due to the multiple divisions that occured in its History I am a bit lost and would welcome any advice and help!
Here are some questions:

1 - Where are all the birth, death and wedding records kept for these parishes? It looks like the Church until recently was writing the civil records as well (or the parish records had the value of a civil record... am I mistaken). Is this so?

2 - Are there any local archives like we have in france (Archives Departmentales) or in Italy (Archivio dello Stato)? Where would be teh records?

3 - If they are only in the Parishes, are the records rightfully accessible. Can the priest/ vicar deny access to the records although they are the only records available?

4 - In Galicia, I read records are in Latin. Is this correct? (that's make my life simple as my polish is really not too good!)

5 - In France, several organisations do researches in the archives on a voluntary basis. I am not expecting anything for free ... but are there any genealogy organisation in the area that could do some researches for us?

6 - Are there plans to digitalize civil/ parish records as it is done in several countries (Nearly 90% of France Civil and parish records are already online for free)...

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards

Romain

Komentarze (4)

6.01.2013 09:52
Hi Romain,
There is Przyszów – a large village in the region of Podkarpacie. I was unable to find Przeszów and Hnatkowice.

I’ll try to answer your questions:

Birth, death and wedding records, for the last 100 years or more, are kept in local village communal offices (Urząd Gminny). Copies of these same records and more are usually kept in local parish (church) offices.

There are regional archives in Poland and there is Archiwum Główne Akt Dawnych (Central) in Warsaw, but I would suggest that you start first on the very local level.

The village communal offices are obliged to issue, with a fee, official documents that are based on the records in their possession. It is up to them to give you a personal access to the record books. There is this same situation with the local priests. They are usually helpful but not always.

Columns in record books are named in Latin. First names and personal status like nobleman, labourer, have usually Latin form. All other notes are usually in Polish.

Try to arrange your research through BIBLIOTEKA GENEALOGII POLAKÓW. Through the owners of this forum.

For digitalisation of the records from Przyszów and that other place you may wait too long. There are some Polish records digitalised by genealogy.com (Mormons in the USA), but they are from the Central Archive of Ukraine in Lwów.

Regards,
Sambor
6.01.2013 10:00
Dear Sambor,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. That really clarifies everything!

You are right and it is normal you could not find Przeszow as it should be PrzYszow. I was there 2 weeks ago and could not remember the spelling!
With regards to Hnatkowice, it is in Gmina Orly near Przemiszl.

I will certainly contact BIBLIOTEKA GENEALOGII POLAKÓW.

Kind regards

Romain
11.01.2013 04:33
Dear Romain
"Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego" (volume IX, 1888), doesn't state Przeszow at all. As it was suggested before, it might be Przyszow. However, there is a bigger city called Rzeszow, at the time also located in Galicia. May be this could be the city you're after?
11.01.2013 08:10
Hello ant thank you for you kind reply!

It is PrzYszow.

Kind regards

Romain