Portal w trakcie przebudowywania.
Niektóre funkcje są tymczasowo wyłączone, inne mogą nie działać poprawnie.

Differences in Surname

22.04.2014 23:17
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference, if there in any, in my surname "Rymsza" and "Rymsza h. Gazdawa"?

Thanks in advance.
Bob Rymsza

Komentarze (7)

23.04.2014 23:17
Hello Bob,

This is the same last name Rymsza. The added 'h. Gazdawa' means that person use this (gazdawa, I think it soulu be gozdawa) coat of arms (hopie that this is right translation). It lasów means that this person was from noble family (probably polish szlachta - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szlachta).

This link can tell you more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gozdawa_coat_of_arms - in polish version of this wiki page you can see that there is information that it is related with Rymsza family.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards, Magda
23.04.2014 23:20
Oh and one more thing. There can be two different families with the same last name, not related. So if you don't have information that your ancestor used this coat of arms then maybe he wasn't a member of family which used it.
24.04.2014 00:24
I guess that's what confuses me the most. The Wikipedia page on the coat of arms lists the families associated which is very broad and vague. It's not like my wife's family who I traced back to the McLeod clan of Scotland and has it's own coat of arms. They all fall under that crest. You are telling me that only one part of a family falls under the crest which is not even of the same name. How do these names fall under the family named on the crest?
24.04.2014 12:00
Hello,

Please check 'History, heraldry, and clan names' in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_name maybe this will give you clarity.

Regarding the information that some of people who have the same last name can have coat of arms and some not I can just tell you that the same last name had my ancestor and earl in Lithuania, no connection at all. Just a coincidence.
24.04.2014 14:26
Thank you Magda that article was very helpful. Polish names are more complex than I imagined. I was wondering how a surname, that supposedly heraldic claims, could consist of butchers, barbers, and other occupations of the "peasant" class. Still, my mother tells me that back in the 60's my Grandfather was invited to a wedding in Canada that was for a Rymsza that was for a "titled" person. I'm not sure how or why that happened if we descend from the "non-noble" lineage. So I will continue to research these family lines with the hope that some day they will merge.

Thanks again.
Bob
27.04.2014 16:31
Magda:

Not sure I understand this post. Does the text confirm nobility or just document being present at a given event?

viewtopic.php?t=7268

Thanks for your help
Bob
27.04.2014 19:20
Hello Bob,

If you will be able to connect your ancestors with Wincenty Rymsza h. Gozdawa who in 1683 fight with polish king Jan III Sobieski in battle of Vienna than you will be sure that your ancestors were from noble family.
The document is just konfirmation of participation of Wincentt Rymsza h. Gozdawa in the battle and presents names of other people who take part in this battle.
For sure Wincenty was from a noble family however there till the moment when you find connection with him there is nothing that will say that you are from the same family.

Maybe you have some documents that Frank Rymsza leave after his dead which can suggest that he used the coat of arms Gozdawa? Maybe there is a ring or other memorial?

Best regards,
Magda